Wednesday, May 27, 2009

From the Beginning

It’s been a long time in the making but this Thursday I leave for the opportunity of a lifetime, the chance to live for two years among the natives of a far away land, a place with an ancient history. It is a place caught between many of history’s greatest civilizations, but through it all the people of Armenia have kept a unique tradition all to themselves. For the next two years I will teach health education amongst the people of Armenia. I’ll learn the language, culture, and traditions of a tiny country locked between Georgia to its north, Azerbaijan to its east, Turkey to its west and Iran to its south.

The chance to be immersed in a place far different than my own is a bit scary. New beginnings can be a little frightening too, but in it all comes the opportunity to make new friends and share new experiences that will last a lifetime and provide a new perspective on the world around me.