Saturday, June 20, 2009

I just did what!?


Today we had what we PCT’s (Peace Corps Trainees) call corps days which means that as an entire group of 47 we meet in the regional city of Charentsevan. During these corps days we train for things that will prepare us to live two years on our own in rural, rudimentary and distant places. For example, we get training for what to do in an emergency, for instance, if civil unrest were to become rampant I would know what to do and what the safest way to get out of the country would be. In fact the Peace Corps has been great about keeping us informed and safe and they do a great job throughout our two years (so don’t worry Mom or Gimme because I’m safe). Also, we have TECH training (remember I work for the government so acronyms are a must) where I as a CHE (Community Health Extension Volunteer) receive information and training on the Armenian healthcare system, popular myths and true remedies practiced within Armenian households and we also discuss exciting initiatives to get the communities we will be assigned to interested and involved in proactive healthy lifestyles. But this is all boring stuff. The real reason I wanted to write this particular entry is because of what I just did.

When I applied for the Peace Corps part of my reasoning for joining was that I wanted to learn a lifestyle that wasn’t as comfortable as the one I had in the United States. I wanted to experience a lifestyle with no electricity, running water, communication services or flushing toilets. A little crazy? I think so, but a good experience none the less. So what is it that I did today? I helped my host “mother” pluck a chicken. I hope that isn’t too anticlimactic for you, but I can’t believe that I actually stuck my hands in the bucket and proceeded to pluck! The chicken met its end when a fox snatched it, but the neighbor chased down the fox who dropped the chicken and kept going. Then my host “mother” lopped the head off the carcass soaked it in hot water and then we plucked it, roasted it over a flame, took out its guts, and then she prepared it! Dinner tomorrow night will be very fresh!

What else am I up to? Well, on the Forth of July we PCT’s host a village celebration to bring American culture to Armenia. I am the Chair of the Solack Forth of July committee which I am excited about. I’ve also been spending a lot of time around the village and people are starting to know my name which is a cool feeling. I ate dinner at Danny’s ( From North Carolina and who has become my best Peace Corps friend) house the other day and while I was there we learned the word for bible Astavatsa Shoonch which literally translates into Gods breath which I think is a brilliant illustration of just what the bible actually is. Anyways, so Danny came over yesterday and we had to sit in my dining room and eat cookies with the neighbors (“no thank you, I’m full” is not an excuse that works here) and dote on the two granddaughters. So, all in all everything is going great. I’ve made friends, I’ve had cool experiences, my language is getting better and I’m integrating more and more but the integration is and always will be, I think, the hardest part. Well that’s all for now but there will be new stories to tell soon.

Love, Michael