Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Millennium Challenge

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. On Christmas Eve I was sitting around the dinner table enjoying Christmas Eve dinner when I realized for the first time in my life I was not celebrating in my usual style. There was no Cheryl Rogers to sing to “O Holy Night” and no gifts around the Christmas tree, but it was still a nice holiday and I enjoyed myself. But in Armenia they don’t celebrate Christmas on the 25th they save all the celebrations for New Years Day. And the town has been bustling big time as people prepare their Noor Taree tables. The tradition is that you go around to friends and families homes and are offered typical Armenian foods such as Dolma, Hkash, and different fruits and stuff. They hype it up a lot around here so I’m pretty exciting, but it is crazy to believe that already it is 2010. We’re you can be in a year or what can happen in a year is a crazy thing. Last year I was in Florida and now I’m in Armenia. I’ve traveled thousands of miles and seen a lot of stuff in between all in just a year. But what’s even harder to fathom is that its 2010. I can still remember what I was doing ten years ago for New Years. I was at the Hargrove’s old house, I was in the seventh grade and I had never been out of the country. Now I’m a year out of college, I’ve been to seventeen countries and I’ll have my champagne wishes and caviar dreams in the form of a three-dollar bottle of champagne and no caviar but I wouldn’t be eating caviar if I was in the US anyways.
The New Year is also a great time to reflect on where we’ve been and where we’re going. I know a lot about where I’ve been. But where I’m going I don’t really know. Other then the actual place where I am now I can’t really say where I’m going, but that I think is what makes the New Year such an exciting thing. And this year for me perhaps more then any other before it is one that in 365 days I’ll be able to look back and think that was a successful year. At least that’s what I hope I’m doing a year from now. Only time will tell, but from me to you Happy New Year and all the best in the new decade!